Allusion having been made to the Pitcairn Fund Committee, it is time to add a few words relative to their efforts for the Islanders.
In consequence of the scanty resources of Pitcairn' s Island, some noblemen and gentlemen were induced, on the recommendation of Sir F. Moresby, with the aid of Lady Moresby, Captain and Mrs. Prevost, and Mr. and Mrs. White, of Grantham, to raise a fund for the passage and outfit of Mr. Nobbs, after his ordination, and for the supply of such things as were deemed requisite for the inhabitants. Labourers' and carpenters' tools, a proper bell for the church, medicines, a few clocks, clothing of various sorts, simple articles of furniture, cooking utensils, &c,, were required.
The first meeting of the Committee was held at the Admiralty, Somerset House, on the 3rd of December, 1852. The then Bishop of London, Dr. Blomfield, was in the chair on that occasion. The Rev. G. H. Nobbs had been invited to attend, and was present. Mr. Nobbs was requested by the Committee to furnish a list of articles wanted; and a statement was supplied by him accordingly. The authorities at the Admiralty kindly assigned, for the use of the Islanders, such of the articles in his list as were among those stores of the victualling department which were not wanted for their original purpose. The rest were purchased from the fund, raised by means of liberal contributions, and were despatched in June, 1853, to Pitcairn.
The Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, at a general meeting on the 7th of December, 1852, granted One Hundred Pounds towards this fund. Mr. Nobbs was present, and addressed the Board.
Admiral Moresby generously added to his former benefactions One Hundred Pounds.
The exertions made in this good cause proved remarkably successful. Not only were the needful articles paid for from the means subscribed, but the sum of Five Hundred Pounds was invested in the stocks, for the future benefit of the Islanders. A whale-boat was bought, and sent out for them, from the same source. Agricultural implements, and other requisite articles, costing upwards of one hundred pounds, have since been purchased at Auckland for the community by a deputation consisting of Messrs. Buffett and Evans, who went thither with the Bishop of New Zealand in the Southern Cross.
Though the attention of the Committee was mainly directed to the task of supplying the islanders with needful things for their support and comfort, the Members could not be indifferent to the progress of events in connexion with the prospects and well-being of the community; and they unanimously expressed their willingness to assign the remainder of the money under their care to certain useful purposes, which were specified by Sir William Denison, the Governor of New South Wales and Norfolk Island.
The particulars of the assignment of the balance to objects required for the community will be stated in the latter part of this work.
The following are the names of the noblemen and gentlemen who formed the Committee:
Treasurers and Trustees—The Lord Bishop of London
Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, Bart. M.P.;
William Cotton, Esq.
Honorary Secretary Rev. T. B. Murray, M.A.
Honorary Assistant Secretary G. C. Silk, Esq.